Sunday, December 17, 2006

Fuck the Ignorant Rich

Years ago I was reading Anais Nin's diaries and at one point came across (paraphrased) "Alas, I am so poor. I must go to Paris." At the time, my friend Kathy and I were laughing about what our equivalent would be: "Alas, I am so poor, I must go sit on my front porch."

Which reminded me, today, of an essay by Tad Friend in this week's "New Yorker": Something about his family being so poor, that is until his dad was offered the presidency of Swarthmore College... I'm completely stunned by the ridiculousness of this guy's definition of "poor." And this from a liberal-magazine writer. There are people out there making less than $8.00 an hour and living 4 to a two-bedroom apartment and juggling their bills every month and having to eat fast food and rice while their electricity has been turned off, you idiotic asshole complaining about your Smith-graduate mother's decorating taste in your 15-room mansion. I'm completely repulsed by the ignorance.

And then there was the reality show of a couple of years ago. About designer Tommy Hilfiger's teenaged daughter and friend. At one point all were at the daddy's estate in the Bahamas or someplace, looking over a gorgeous sunset. And Tommy's daughter opined: "We must have done something really good in a past life to deserve this." (This is why I hate Hinduism.) You didn't do anything to deserve anything, you spoiled, rich shits! Your daddy earned the money! He worked the system and he earned the money, and good for him, but don't sit there and say there's something profound and spiritual about why your family now has money!

In the past two US presidential elections (2000 and 2004), a point has been made by Democrats and Republicans alike: "This is not about class warfare." Why has a living wage for the working poor become "class warfare"? Creepy, creepy corporate propaganda.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the most absurd blog I have ever read. Come on, driving drunk, drooling over teenage girls and now being bitter because you're poor and can’t afford to live in New York. You need therapy to get over all the shit that happened in your past, otherwise you will never succeed in going forward with the future. Save yourself a lot of time, money and heartache and stay in Texas, they will eat you alive in New York honey.

Beth Austin said...

Ooops, I forgot to add this earlier: What "teenage girls"?? For your information, My Girlfriend Lindsay is...20!!! ;p

Anonymous said...

Steph,

Ah, it is all coming back to me now.So the drag queen is correct you have a gf?

James

Beth Austin said...

Gawd, Kilroy! You keep coming back after all these years and don't remember I'm gay??! (Although "My Girlfriend Lindsay" refers to...the gorgeous Lindsay Lohan!)

p.s. Turns out no drag queen wrote the first message above, but, rather, a little pissy jealous guy from Boston.

Anonymous said...

Well I like to visit with old friends lol

Well you are not 100% gay.You just need a real man is all.I found out who Neil is.So, there was no hacker that took down your board, it was yahoo, from what I read.Do you want Neil's board taken down?Let me know lol

James

Beth Austin said...

I'm about 80% gay, Mr. Kilroy, since you're so darned curious. RE the Yahoo board: The very same day my Yahoo board went down, my Joan StarPages listing also disappeared---and an e-mail that Neil had sent to StarPages using my e-mail address (telling them to delete the account) got sent back to me by mistake...with the very same IP number used by Neil in a personal e-mail to me that day. Coincidence? Perhaps, but I don't think so. Besides, there was no reason for Yahoo to delete the board... As for the last part: I'm afraid I can't comment. You do what you think is best!

Anonymous said...

Get your head out of your ass Stephanie. I had nothing to do with your beloved Star pages or your high school gossip chat group. Go on believing that I have these magical powers to get into your email account and delete all sorts of things. You're 41 years old GROW UP! And for god's sakes don’t put that you maintain Joan Crawford website on your resume, NO ONE will take that seriously and it's very high school. Geez..

James.. Go for it. I am glad you "found out" who I am. Way to go Colombo!

Anonymous said...

Neil,

I own you! Have a Happy Christmas !

James Kilroy

Anonymous said...

Steph,

Seems like alot of trouble over the xmas weekend.I can explain it all to you, if you email me one day this week.

Neil Steph did not hack your account.

JK

Anonymous said...

Steph,

Sorry, I am a tad distracted today.I have learned that there is a hunt for the true identity of the illusive Kilroy.I have little time or inclination to "hack" some inane yahoo board.So, I gave the illusion of a hack.

http://www.movieflix.com/

Go to send a page to a friend and you can also do it.Odd how people are fooled.Just change the subject and the message.So, Neil is the real dumb one here.

Kilroy

Beth Austin said...

JK: Wow, I'm actually starting to feel a little kindly toward you, despite your messing with ME over the years! ;p

Beth Austin said...

JK: Still in my "kindly feeling" mode: I thought I had your "mcqueen" e-mail written down, which I did at one point but alas don't any longer. If you want me to e-mail you personally, please don't post your address here, but you know my e-mail(s) I think... I really would like to discuss what's been going on.

Anonymous said...

Steph,

I sent a email to your amandafarrow04. Did you get it?

horsdumonde said...

It's a relative, I suppose. We both have Master's degrees and good careers but live in a tiny studio in one of the worst neighborhoods in S.F. Most everyone in our building seems to have more money than we do, but the rest of the neighborhood really is dirt poor. Funny, we used to flee to Paris as often as we could; now, it's, like, thousands of dollars to go there for just a week.

Weren't those Nin diaries incredible? She got weirder and weirder, though...