Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Polar Express Lesson o' Life



I've been freaking out over the past month over whether or not I should move to New York City, as I've long been talking about. Now the moment is here---I quit a job I hated and have just received a couple of thousand in "retirement" pay (which I should keep in account, if only I were an ant instead of a grasshopper)... Despite the logic, I've been praying for the past month---"God, give me a sign! I can't make up my mind!"

There's been no sign from "Our Lord" whatsoever...hah! But this Christmas weekend, I watched, 'cause of my nephew, "Polar Express" (and I hate kids' movies)----aside from the funny, cool song "Hot Chocolate," there was also the message that spoke to me: "Get on the train." You'll never know unless you get on the train. I'm scared.

And then another thing on PBS showing over the past couple of weeks: The Mormons who first came from England and then risked everything to travel across the west to Utah---they froze, they starved...

All that's going to happen to me is that my cat will be very uncomfortable during the 10 or so hours that it takes her to get situated from Austin to New York City. For me, there's "Craig's List" and there are 5 or so people I know already in NYC. I'll find a place to live, I'll find a job. Still... I'm scared... But... "GET ON THE TRAIN." Can I do it?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you have no choice but to leave for NYC, Steph. It may be a cold city, but you already have one friend and one acquaintance there. Changes are scary, but you do need a change of scenery. I'd say go for it, just do it - don't [over-]think or analyze - down deep inside you already know this is what you want. Save every penny from now on, and get aboard that northbound train.

-J.

Anonymous said...

They'll eat you alive.

Beth Austin said...

As for "they'll eat you alive": Are you kidding?! You haven't yet met a blonde Texan with a Master's Degree and boobs, buddy! ;p

As for "J"'s comment: You're right, honey, but... I also don't think it's a "cold" city. The three times I've been there, everyone I've run into seemed "real" and true...someone there told me that it's only the "poseurs" new to the city who act fake, which was nice to hear... I'm personally not in-tune with the intentional "laid back South" thang, as everyone has always told me to be as I was growing up... See you in 2007! ;0

Anonymous said...

A Texas gal with blonde hair and boobs is a plus if you're in your 20's or even in your 30's but not when you are past 40. Sorry, won't work in NYC doll.

Beth Austin said...

You severely underestimate the power of 41-year-old Texans, blondes, and boobs! ;p