Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Bay City Rollers: Dedication



I've sold off all of my stereo equipment in anticipation of moving to NYC and semi-packed up all my CDs. And was bummed out because of the silence, aside from the TV...

Just figured out, duh, that I can play CDs on my computer! Which is good, because tonight I've been hearing the Bay City Rollers' version of "Let's Pretend" in my head all evening and realized I could still drag out my BCR "Dedication" CD (from Japan) so I could hear it. Which I'm listening to right now.

There's some stuff that you listened to as a kid that you know is crap later, but... I still love the Bay City Rollers. I mean, every album is good. Every single album of theirs through "It's a Game" I still love and can listen to today.

And I still think of those guys' personalities and remember reading that Les was/is a Scorpio and Eric a Libra, and that Eric was once too depressed to appear for a German "Bravo" photo shoot... (I always loved Eric best, and Les second, and didn't pay any attention to Woody or Derek at all.)

I have a picture of me in Germany in '76 wearing short plaid-trimmed pants and holding a drawing I'd made of the Rollers. And a screen-shot I took of them on German TV that summer. The raging controversy in teen magazines at the time was whether or not Ian's version of "Dedication" on the album should be re-made by Les, since Ian had just left the group...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://groups.msn.com/BayCityRollersPenPalReunion/welcome.msnw

Beth Austin said...

Thanks for the link! It was neat to see Alan and Eric with long hair in the early days!