Monday, January 08, 2007

"What a bad-ass city!" John Lennon



I don't know that this shot of New York City is the best or most glamorous; I wish I could capture exactly the sense of exhilaration I felt when I saw it for the first time 2 years ago...

Someone wrote earlier on this blog in response to my stated decision to move there: "They'll eat you alive." I answered shallowly something like, "Oh, they'll like blondes." In truth, it's not a question of me being blonde or wanting anything out of this city. I'm 41, not 21, so it's not like I'm going there to "be a star" in any way. What I'm going there for is just to revel in how beautiful and majestic it is. Oh, for sure, there's going to be the everyday blah-blah-blah crappy existence, but in the meantime... I'll get to LOOK AT NEW YORK CITY and walk around every day saying, in my mind, "Wow!" in relation to that and that and that... That building, that club, that hotel, that museum... I want to be stunned, and I think New York City will stun me. Not "eat me alive"----now, why would it? :) I'll be there to worship and enjoy, not to conquer.

What a beautiful place, in the sense of both glamour and gravitas.

No comments: