Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Alligator at the door



Dream: After a party where there was vintage furniture being sold and many female party hosts were inexplicably sleeping, I was trying to get across a shallow puddle in a dirt road, along with 3 of my long-time girl-friends. I spotted an alligator on the sideline; at first it ignored us, then it struck...I had some sort of long hook with me and some kind of spray and I fought it, catching it through the chin with the hook. Some guys came along, from my high school, and started spraying ME with the same spray that I was aiming at the alligator.

I was outraged at the guys: "That thing was AFTER us!" What's weird is that the friends that I was with started questioning ME about my actions, while the guys admitted secretly that I'd been in the right. All before the whole thing was set to go to trial. So much hostility and tension and fear... Alligators/crocs really freak me out. And the outrage that I was fighting one and then got punished for it...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This dream can be interpreted as you going to New York but you'll be back in Texas before you know it (reeling you back with the big ole’ hook.) Maybe you can buy back that car you sold when you come back to Texas in less than a year.

Beth Austin said...

You know, maybe I WILL miss Texas so much that I'm back within a year. (Though, mentally, I've given myself 2 years.) I had it pretty nice here and I gave it up just because I was bored. I had the same problem back in the mid-'90s, and then I went off to San Francisco for 2 years...though that was for grad school so I was actually there for a purpose. I hated being in SF, and so back I was in Austin. The same thing may happen this time with New York City. But at least I will be able to say that I TRIED. That's the worst thing I can imagine---being an old person, bitchin' about "I should have gone to San Francisco; I should have gone to New York." If you give things a shot and they don't work out, at least you can say you tried, and don't have those regrets hanging over you later.