Friday, February 02, 2007

Wouldn't You Like It



I got this album for my birthday in the summer of '77, at the same time the "Son of Sam" killer was loose in NYC. I remember listening to the album on my birthday and, with Son of Sam in mind, being freaked out by "Wouldn't You Like It," since it had weird, distorted vocals in some parts that sounded psychotic to me... (Which reminds me... I was also pretty freaked out by the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper," which I heard a year or so later... I got incredibly bad vibes from it. I later asked my younger brother and another friend what they'd thought, and they were also a bit disturbed by it. Now that I'm 41, I kind of miss tuning in so completely to albums... I remember when Pink Floyd's "The Wall" came out, with accompanying movie... I was in my sophomore year of college and depressed as hell and I thought the movie was the profoundest thing ever... Every bad thing I'd been thinking about the world was right there... A horrible, profound movie... I don't know that I'd want to watch it again now. When you're young you can handle the awful truth, but as you get older you want to forget it...

No comments: