Friday, March 16, 2007

S-A-T-U-R-D-A-Y N-I-G-H-T!



I've written about the Bay City Rollers here before, but just wanted to reiterate... My very first favorite band. The very first two albums that I bought ("Dedication" and their debut album). The very first band I almost saw in concert. Which brings me to my current tale... Me and my Azle, Texas, friend Debbie (my best friend in junior high) ALMOST saw the Bay City Rollers in concert at the Tarrant County Convention Center in Fort Worth, Texas, in something like 1978 or '79. My mom bought the tickets and was going to be our chaperone (since we were junior-high kids). Unfortunately, the group couldn't sell enough tickets, so had to cancel the show. The end. Debbie went on to become a groupie for KISS and Motley Crue and various death-metal bands (and has since become a regular professional businessperson), and I... went on to listen to the Beatles and Julie London.

Fast-forward 25 years: I checked out my high-school's website and got back in touch with Debbie. We e-mailed a couple of times, but one thing stood out: She said she's now living in Brooklyn, and if I ever needed help moving to NYC... At the time she mentioned that, I had no real plans, but when it came time for me to actually make the leap to the Big City, I got in touch with her. Turns out I didn't need to stay with her after all, but we still exchanged numbers and made indefinite plans to meet up in NYC at some point...

Long story short---the Bay City Rollers are playing in New Jersey on March 31! And Debbie and I are going together! I can't think of a better way for friends to hang out again after 25-odd years!

Love this town (and its surrounding, easily accessible areas)!

No comments: