Thursday, April 12, 2007

White Hot!

For how many months and months and months did I sit and listen to this 1978 album and stare at the cover?! (Those boys were decadently, semi-scarily pretty, as was the album. Most freaky of all...the "Angel" logo reads the same upside down!! More hours spent pondering THAT, without the benefits of marijuana even! It's fun being young and just delving into things! Which reminds me... way back then---early '80s, when turntables still existed---we really DID still play the Beatles' White Album and Sgt. Pepper backwards to hear hidden messages...based on what all of those '60s journalists had told us...)

I was just browsing the Internet for info on "White Hot" and was deeply disturbed to discover...the critics didn't like it! And they mocked Angel! They be crazy! That album is fantastic from beginning to end and I can still hear half the lyrics in my head..."I love you, I love you, I do, girl...but you ain't gonna cheat on me. I need you, I need you, I really do...CHOOSE! Is it him or meeeeeee... I ain't gonna eat out my heart any more..." Or what about: "Winter is here, and it's cold this time of year. There's frost on the windowpane. Winter nights are here again (la-la-la-la-la-la)..." This was definitely one of those junior high "spending the night at a friend's" cool albums to listen to at 1 am; so decadent to be up that late at age 13, drinking Coke after Coke and eating frozen pizza and reading "Creem" magazine, with its hip captions...(For the longest time I couldn't figure out what "natch" meant...)

Speaking of FANTASTIC, the lead pretty boy of Angel, Punky Meadows (once mocked by Frank Zappa in a song called "Punky's Whips"), now owns a tanning salon in Virginia called...TANFASTIC. Online profiles claim he's straight, he's straight...How the sexy have fallen...

No comments: