Thursday, May 17, 2007

Idol + Garden State


Melinda Doolittle was just voted off "American Idol" tonight. Which is just nuts. My choices for the final two were Melinda and Blake. Not 'cause Blake sang better than Jordin Sparks, but because he was infinitely more interesting. Jordin is generic and dull as hell. There are a thousand other "girl singers" warbling a la Jordin. Watching Jordin on tonight's "American Idol" show in her hometown just solidified how shallow she was. Melinda might not have been "cute," but I'd thought her overt skills and performance abilities would've way outweighed "cute." Not so.

In other "tonight news" (Funny, I just read that the average number of readers for any given blog were...2! Since this blog's had over 13,000 readers in the past 6 months...oh, I guess I'm flattered...Though I suppose I could do without the Jesus Freaks. Ahem.): After "Idol," I switched over to the Independent Film Channel, since I was still laid up in bed after my cat-bite and was so sick of commercials... Where I discovered the movie "Garden State"...
Man, there's so much ugly, stupid shit in this world... So much so that you just start expecting it from your surroundings. Sad, but true. I started watching "Garden State" just to be watching something. My foot hurt, I was bedridden, what else was I going to do, etc. I ended up putting down my remote and really watching... I so much liked how Zach Braff's and Natalie Portman's characters got along... Made me wistful and heartsick. I remembered that kind of interaction that came so easy in high school and early college... Not to say that that can't happen later in life, but it's harder. People start to shut down and make early judgments... "Garden State" made me feel like nice things were possible again in life. Not in a fake, stupid way, but...just the everyday, ordinary "miracles" that make you give thanks.

Zach Braff's character made me cry. And then I watched the credits at the end of the film and saw that he'd also written AND directed... Previously unaware of Braff, I'd just known him as the guy from the TV show "Scrubs"... Now, though---I have such great admiration for him...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog has not had 13,000 readers in the past six months. You're 12,999 other personalities don't count.

Beth Austin said...

Um, if you're going to write in the English language, best make sure that you get "you're" and "your" straight! I didn't know 3rd graders were allowed to post on blogs!

(In the meantime, I'll try to get my 12,999 personalities sorted out...)

Anonymous said...

Its a shame you have to put up with these people like Neal Julie and Kilroy. You'd think an old Queen, a crazy Trannie, and a Perv would have better things to do with their time.

Beth Austin said...

Actually, Neil's a YOUNG queen...which is what makes it worse! :p