Sunday, May 27, 2007

"I've been terribly alone..."

"...and forgotten in Manhattan..."

God...My mom just offered to rent a truck and drive all the way up from San Antonio to NYC to "fetch me home" 'cause she's worried about me...

I haven't yet found a job here in NYC and am presently floundering... Wow. What a nice offer. New York's too beautiful to give up on and go home. As if "Austin" were home, which it's not. Thanks, Mom, though.

Years ago as a kid in Azle, Texas, I pretentiously wondered in my diary: "Why would anyone want to live anywhere that wasn't the center of the universe?" New York City is the fucking center of the Universe.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its funny how even when there's no longer a question of being "grown up", a mothers love keeps them worrying over their children no matter what age they are.

Beth Austin said...

And that drives me mad... I'm 41, and I feel that at this point, with my mother in her 60s, that I should be the one taking care of HER. Yet I'm unable to. I'm still such the kid goofing around, trying to find myself. I don't think that my goofing around will in any way hurt her---she's smart and has planned for her retirement future. Yet, there's still the ego thing: I'm a fuck-up who can't provide for my own mother's future...