Saturday, May 12, 2007

Seize the Day

While laid up in bed for the past week, I finally turned off my TV and started delving into my roommate's bookshelves. I thought I was pretty up on modern lit, but...haven't ever read Saul Bellow. My first Bellow book was "Seize the Day"---took only about an hour or so to read, but struck home: a 40-something-year-old loser whose parent wouldn't give him any money! (Hmmm...) Am now two-thirds of the way through "Herzog"--- one thing that strikes me is that people don't write like this any more. This is definitely my parents' generation of writers, what I grew up with, what I was told was necessary to read. (I was born in '65.) "Herzog" basically deals with a man's losing his wife, and his efforts to get over her. It's contemplative, and I enjoy reading the main character's philosophical ramblings (misogynist though they sometimes are). It's a shame no one is writing like this today. While rather meandering, at least Bellow was full and rich and thoughtful. Not trying to be "cute" or "ironic." I miss sincerity.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

These days, unfortunately, Sincerity is an endangered species.

Anonymous said...

Steph,

We need to meet

Kilroy

Beth Austin said...

Sorry, Kilroy---you once said you really liked "The Magus," which I think is one of the worst books EVAH! Wasn't meant to be! ;p

Anonymous said...

Steph,

Well I won't give up on you yet.Do you know a few in your yahoo group think, you and julie and I are all one in the same person?

Kilroy

Anonymous said...

Psychos!

Anonymous said...

Steph,

Why don't you email me your telephone number? I had your number in Texas at one time but dared not call.About time we talk on the phone I think.Email it to the Mcqueen29 at hotmail if you want to chat one night.

Kilroy

Beth Austin said...

Now really...WHAT would I get out of that, K?!

Anonymous said...

Hey Steph,

Well I am sure lol but would be nice to hear your texas twang, unless you lost that in NY.

Kilroy