Thursday, May 31, 2007

Sex! Pistols!


I never even heard the Sex Pistols' music 'til after I graduated from high school in 1983. How sad and belated is that?! (You young'uns better be grateful for the Internet! In Azle in the early '80s, we were a little...belated.) ;p

However, I did read about them and see their images in their heyday (and wrote about them in an essay on "Rebellion" for my sophomore English class). And tonight just re-watched the Sex Pistols doc "The Filth and the Fury" on IFC.

I'm still blown away by how radical they were. I remember 20 years ago trying to explain to my mom how they changed everything... No point to THAT exchange, but, still...wow. How ugly and raw----and catchy. And political. Not like stupid uber-metal bands who try to be fierce, but are, rather, just dumb and loud. The Sex Pistols were scary. And great. Seems like we've gone backwards since then. I can't even imagine anything like them getting a record deal today. The amount of fakery and pseudo-iconoclasm today is incredible. Everything so stilted and pre-screened for "hipness."

No comments: