Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Oh! My Statue of Liberty

I just took a cruise out to visit the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. (Before I got too "New York" for my own good and started snubbing such "tourist attractions"!)

















Of course, during my whole "Lady Liberty" experience, I was also thinking of this Joan picture:





















And of this XTC song from my youth:

"Statue Of Liberty"

The first time I saw you standing in the water
You must have been all of a thousand feet tall
Nearly naked - unashamed like Herod's daughter
Your love was so big
It made New York look small

You've been the subject of so many dreams
Since I climbed your torso
Oh!
My statue of Liberty
Boo Boo
Impaled on your hair
What do you do
Do Do to me
Boo Boo

I leaned right over to kiss your stoney book
A little jealous of the ships with whom you flirt
A billion lovers with their cameras
Snap to look and in my fantasy
I sail beneath your skirt...


And then there was this guy, who was entertaining the huddled masses waiting in line for over an hour to get on the damn boat! (How in the world did those immigrants do it?!)

1 comment:

Beth Austin said...

The New Colossus
by Emma Lazarus

Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,

With conquering limbs astride from land to land;

Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand

A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame

Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name

Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand

Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command

The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.

"Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she

With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,

Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.

Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,

I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"


I just re-read this and paid attention to it for the first time...I've always been rather a fan of the "pomp" of the Greeks and Romans, but here, the poet is saying what male bullshit that all was! No need now for brazenness, for conquering... The female, just as mighty, is still capable of mercy...