Monday, September 03, 2007

"Life Underground"





I love being new to New York, and I love being old enough to not EVEN be concerned about image or about being seen as a "tourist." I've been here for 6 months now and I've already taken a completely touristy ferry tour to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, as well as a boat tour around the whole perimeter of Manhattan Island.

I got a new job in Union Square a week ago, and one thing I noticed in the Union Square subway links was these little "Life Underground" figures by artist Tom Otterness, placed in the subways in 2001 (according to a plaque I read). This subway station's a huge one and everywhere I walked, there those odd little figures were. Nothing quite compares to Norway's "Sinnataggen" park statue, but I still appreciate NYC's attempts at being publicly off-beat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new Union Square job!

The picture of the people in the park in the Union Square pic... reminds me a little of an early 70's college campus look somehow--I like the nostalgic look of it!
Barb