Thursday, November 15, 2007

In memory of the now-drowned Julie (courtesy of ELO)

"I am dead - drowned - tomorrow."

----------------------------------
Midnight on the water.
I saw the ocean's daughter.
Walking on a wave's chicane,
staring as she called my name.

And I can't get it out of my head,
no, I can't get it out of my head.
Now my old world is gone for dead
'cos I can't get it out of my head.

Breakdown on the shoreline,
can't move, it's an ebbtide.
Morning don't get here till night,
searching for her silver light.

And I can't get it out of my head,
no, I can't get it out of my head.
Now my old world is gone for dead
'cos I can't get it out of my head, no no.

Bank job in the city.
Robin Hood and William Tell and Ivanhoe and Lancelot, they don't envy me.
Sitting till the sun goes down,
in dreams the world keep going round and round.

And I can't get it out of my head,
no, I can't get it out of my head.
Now my old world is gone for dead
'cos I can't get it out of my head, no no.

3 comments:

BRĂ…THEN said...

I am a friend of "Julie" and I need to inform you that she has passed. You were the cause of her death she wrote to me in a note and told me this.

Beth Austin said...

Thanks, "brathen" (aka "Julie")! Always weirdly flattering to think one's caused someone's suicide! (Now I know just how Ted Hughes felt...)

Julie's widely announced "suicide attempts" have been occurring regularly for the past 7 years that I've known her online. In her last attempt, she announced to her vintage photo blog that she'd just recovered from "jumping off a mountain," where a rescue squad allegedly had to come pick her out of a crevice. (I'm sorry, but I had to laugh at that image!)

Prior to that, she typed a message to a blog that went something like this: "I've just taken an overdose of pills as I write this. And now I'm fading away, oh yesimfkj;osijdhg;;s;;lkg;jkjshi8u7tegwgg..." To which some innocent suckers breathlessly responded: "I just saw Julie's last message! She just passed out at her keyboard!" (This was a couple of years ago. Needless to say, she survived.)

And a year or so prior to THAT, she allegedly chopped off all of her hair and ran into the cold Norwegian sea, in a dramatic attempt to make her mom feel guilty...

The first couple of times I heard about Julie's "death," I felt worried and scared. After 7 years of hearing that "cry-wolf" crap, though, it's just become ridiculous. If she's actually dead, as she's continuously said she's wanted to be, then...more power to ya, Julie! You're exactly where you've wanted to be all along!

That ELO song still reminds me of her, though, dead or alive.

Beth Austin said...

As I'd thought: "Julie" made her reappearance online on 11/24, only a couple of days after proclaiming her suicide.

What a joke of a person.