Monday, February 18, 2008

Yummy Julie London


What a great singer Julie London is. I've been piddling about the Internet tonight with Julie in the background and had to keep stopping to pay attention to what she was doing...

For instance: In general, I dislike the town of San Francisco (having lived there for 2 years), and I also dislike the song "I Left My Heart in San Francisco." But when the Julie-version of the song came on, I had to stop and do nothing but listen to her...

Later in the evening, I put on her late-60s "Yummy, Yummy, Yummy" album... I particularly love "Sunday Morning" and "Hushabye Mountain"----both ominously cozy, or cozily ominous...She's sexy and potentially scary at the same time. And "Without Him" and "Come to Me Slowly"...Yow. I can't get over how good she is.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jesus Christ, you're the biggest fucking loser ever. Go shoot yourself in the head...please!

Beth Austin said...

Julie, it's bizarre to me that you would actually want anyone to go and shoot themselves in the head. I realize it's the Internet, but in the meantime, you should probably still try to act like a normal person. Just for normal's sake.

All of your weird "go die" messages that I've received here from you aren't scary, they're just repetitive and boring.

Jennifer said...

When I was a kid, I loved watching Emergency, and I still remember how happy my dad was when he saw that Julie London was on it as Nurse Dixie McCall (can't believe i remember that!). Then I found some albums my parents' had of hers and they were amazing. Love her voice!

I've lurked on your blog for a while now. I like the way you write. Plus, I'm a Bay City Roller fan, too (and there aren't too many of us out there!).

Have a great day.

Beth Austin said...

Jennifer, who was your favorite Roller? (Mine was Eric!)

I don't know if you read an earlier blog post of mine (March last year, I think), but Ian Mitchell was touring, really low-budgetly, and stopped in New Jersey at a dive bar last March, which I went to see with an old junior-high friend of mine then living in this area. He only played 2 or so BCR songs (the rest, generic glam-rock stuff) and the whole thing was kind of cheesy, but fun, since I hadn't expected too much anyway and just liked hanging out in a dive bar! :)

Jennifer said...

That's too cool. Sometimes cheesy dive bars are the best. It's funny because he was only in the Rollers for like 7 monthes or something, and he's built this whole career around it!

Have a good one,
Jennifer