Sunday, March 09, 2008

My New Place






Back in Texas, when I saw a piece of furniture I liked in a store or at a garage sale, I could just buy it and cart in home in my car. Here in NJ/NY, I have no car at my disposal, and it's a much more difficult proposition getting stuff home. (Even a minor table that I saw out on the curb on trash pick-up day a couple of weeks ago, only two blocks from my house, I couldn't take, though I wanted to, because it was too heavy for me to carry that far.)

My first roommate's place was completely furnished, so I didn't have to worry about it. My second roommate: I took the subway to a Target in the Bronx and bought a cheap fake-wood computer desk and bookshelf and TV stand, which I had a cab haul home for about $12. My third roommate in Weehawken, NJ: I just needed something to sit/sleep on in my unfurnished room, so I got a futon delivered---very expensive, since the only futon store I knew of was in Manhattan, and they charged a bunch to deliver across state lines...

Now that I'm in my very first place on my own: This place is HUGE---a living room, big dining area, two bedrooms, plus a spare "half-bedroom." And I've got nothing to put in it! It's great for my imagination and future plans, but for the time being...

I already had the futon and a TV from my last roommate's place, which now sit in the living room. In the "dining room" once sat my cheap Target computer table and bookshelf... I also just bought a cheap mattress set for @ $200 from a discount furniture store a couple of blocks away, though I don't like to sleep on it in the back bedroom very much because the room is small and dreary. I've been sleeping in the front room, on the futon, with the beautiful windows and view... I just had delivered, though, a huge six-foot-long "farmer's table" from Pier One (on sale for $199), as well as Pier One bookshelf, on sale for $99. (Though there was the $100 delivery charge.) As it is, my apartment's now "functional," although it's not yet exactly how I'd like it to look... The structure is beautiful and the neighborhood is beautiful; it's just that I have to live up to, aesthetically, what I've moved into.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I give it three months and you're out of three....

Beth Austin said...

Um... "out of THREE"? Ah, the usual "Neil spelling"...

Jennifer said...

I love the way your place looks... all white, bright, and with hardwood floors (I want them!). You'll fill it up eventually, but it the meantime, I think it looks great!

Thanks for your post in my blog! And it works out fine that you prefer Eric, that way we don't have to fight over them! ;-)