Sunday, March 09, 2008

Surprise Surprise (Sweet Bird of Paradox)

I first heard this John Lennon song back when I was in high school, in the early '80s. It had come out in 1974. (From the 1974 album "Walls and Bridges.") I just put on the "Walls and Bridges" album right now, and cranked up "Surprise." Some lines have been in my head since I first heard them in '80:


"Sweet as the smell of success, her body's warm and wet
She gets me through this godawful loneliness..."

"Oh boy, you don't know what she do to me
She makes me sweat and forget who I am..."

"Well I was wondering how long this could go on, on and on,
I thought I could never be surprised,
But could it be that I bit my own tongue,
Oh yeah, it's so hard to swallow when you're wrong..."

"A bird of paradise,
The sunrise in her eyes,
God only knows such a sweet surprise,
I was blind she blew my mind, think that
I love, love, love, love, love her..."

Since I was 15, I have learned that Lennon was rather an asshole in his personal life, but I still love these beautiful, romantic lyrics. These will always be about any girl/woman I love.

----------------------------------------------

Sweet as the smell of success,
Her body's warm and wet,
She gets me through this godawful loneliness,
A natural high, butterfly, oh I,
I need, need, need her.

Just like a willow tree,
A breath of spring you see,
And oh boy you don't know what she do to me,
She makes me sweat and forget who I am,
I need, need, need, need her.

A bird of paradise,
The sunrise in her eyes,
God only knows such a sweet surprise,
I was blind she blew my mind, think that
I love, love, love, love, love her,
I love her, I love her, I love her, I love her.

Sweet sweet, sweet sweet love.

3 comments:

Beth Austin said...

Another song off the "Walls and Bridges" album, "Scarred." The line that I've alway remembered since I was a kid:

Hatred and jealousy, gonna be the death of me
I guess I knew it right from the start
Sing out about love and peace
Don't wanna see the red raw meat
The green eyed goddamn straight from your heart...


"The green-eyed goddamn straight from your heart..." Every time I read or hear that, it breaks my heart.

--------------------------------



I'm scared, I'm scared, I'm scared
I'm scared, so scared
I'm scared, I'm scared, I'm scared
As the years roll away
And the price that I paid
And the straws slips away

You don't have to suffer
It is what it is
No bell book or candle
Can get you out of this, oh no!

I'm scarred, I'm scarred, I'm scarred
I'm scarred, uh huh
I'm scarred, I'm scarred, I'm scarred
Every day of my life
I just manage to survive
I just wanna stay alive

You don't have to worry
In heaven or hell
Just dance to the music
You do it so well, well, well!

Hatred and jealousy, gonna be the death of me
I guess I knew it right from the start
Sing out about love and peace
Don't wanna see the red raw meat
The green eyed goddamn straight from your heart

I'm tired, I'm tired, I'm tired
Of being so alone
No place to call my own
Like a rollin' stone

BrokenBird said...

Die, please...

Beth Austin said...

"Die, please..." ????

Julie, as I said to Neil: You're always so insightful and intelligent in your posts! Thanks!