Sunday, April 13, 2008

The Man With the Veil

I was working Saturday, smoking a cig outside the building. A big street guy walked by and came to a screeching halt in front of me:

STREET GUY: You'll put that out soon.
ME: Yeah, OK.
SG: No, you'll stop very soon.
ME [sarcastically]: Yeah, OK. I'll stop right now. It's bad for me. Thanks!
SG: You will stop smoking very soon. You will not be taken, like my 3 friends.
ME: [??]
SG: You will stop smoking completely.
ME: [??]
SG: I was born with a veil. I can see things. You will not die this way.
ME: You were born with a veil?
SG: Yes.
ME: Well, that can be a curse as well as a blessing.
SG: [looking genuinely puzzled] How a curse?
ME: What if you walked around and constantly picked up on really bad vibes from some people? What would you do?
SG: I'm protected. The spirit protects me. I'm not hurt.

[SG and I smile and part ways with a would-be handshake, except...I had a cigarette in one hand and a Coke in the other, so we two kind of knocked knuckles instead. He's Paul, I'm Stephanie, and we hope to meet again]

No comments: