Tuesday, May 06, 2008

"Hippies don't come knockin' in Weehawken..."

In light of all the "divisiveness" in the air lately (both personally and politically) I just had to laugh when I was strolling around the main street of Weehawken (New Jersey, pop. 13,000---a place where even squares can have a ball!) today and saw this sign in the window of a store selling fine wines:



Too much! The Culture War of the '60s is still alive and well in Weehawken! ;p (Though in my months here, I must say I have yet to see a single "hippie" shuffling around, much less trying to get into an upscale store to buy wine... Perhaps the sign should replace "Hippies" with "Yuppies" or "Obnoxious Dominican Teenagers"!)

In memory of past battles, here's Merle Haggard singing his famous anti-hippie "Middle America" anthem "Okie from Muskogee"---albeit 20 years after he first released it, and at UK's Wembley Stadium (with my girl Tammy).



And for my gay guy/Scandinavian trannie fans, here's a version of "Okie" with Dolly Parton and Merle---complete with subtitles!


No comments: