Sunday, June 08, 2008

I deserve a paper plate!

A few days ago I saw this ad on TV, and I wrote down the line I thought I had just heard (but couldn't quite be sure 'cause it was so insane)...

"I deserve a paper plate that's as strong as I am!"

Sure enough, I wasn't dreaming:



To contact this company and let them know how ridiculous this ad campaign is:
http://www.makeitadixieday.com/contact.html


p.s. For any sexist guys out there wondering why I'm being so uptight, try this for a second---put yourself in the place of the dumb women in that ad, and see how YOU feel after watching it. I had a similar argument with a young male neighbor back in the '80s, when the "Spuds McKenzie" ads were popular. I thought they were incredibly sexist and stupid, but he thought they were funny... So I had to plant the anarchic notion: "What if, in the ads, Spuds were a FEMALE dog, and GUYS were hanging all over her?" Neighbor: "Well, that wouldn't be funny."


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just did an Internet search for the quote from the Dixie commercial and your page came up. I had the same reaction when I heard the commercial, "What did she just say? Did she say...?" Yes she did. Wow. That is a real statement right there!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who found it odd, if not downright offensive.

Beth Austin said...

http://www.makeitadixieday.com/contact.html

If you have the chance, do try to e-mail the company responsible for that commercial at the above link to tell them how offensive that ad is.

I also thought I was crazy, until I looked up the line on YouTube... Thank goodness for the Internet, so we're not all sitting at home thinking, "Oh, it must be just me..."!

Anonymous said...

I did email them at the same time I left the comment on your page, thanks for providing the link. I received a form-letter response this afternoon notifying me that my comments have been forwarded to their marketing personnel and management.

Beth Austin said...

I got the form-letter response, too.

I keep thinking about women pre-'68 or so who had to put up with this demeaning stuff on a constant, daily basis... We have it much better nowadays overall, but, sadly, still have to be vigilant about this crap...