Friday, July 18, 2008

Joanie Sommers/ Nothing Worse Than a Coward



I first became aware of Sommers when I saw a clip of her appearance with Joan Crawford on "Hollywood Palace" in the mid-'60s---both were embarrassingly schmaltzy to me. But it didn't click until just hearing the song tonight that Sommers also sang the great "Johnny Get Angry" that I knew from back when I was a teen in the '80s and only had AM radio playing the Oldies in my car!

In a weird side-note, Sommers shares a February 24 birthday with someone truly apropos of the "Johnny" in this song.

When I first came online in early 2001, one of the first things I accidentally got involved with was defending this wimpy Pisces-character on a Joan Crawford message board, since I thought that others were picking on her... In the 7 years since then, she's never once come to my defense. Not once. You'd think that at some point the wimpiness would abate and the intellectual honesty, or at least a bit of loyalty, would shine through for just a second. Nah.

There's nothing worse than a coward.

No comments: