Sunday, July 27, 2008

Woman is the Nigger of the World



"We make her paint her face and dance
If she won't be a slave we say that she don't love us
If she's real we say she's trying to be a man
While putting her down we pretend that she's above us..."

The Dick Cavett Show. ABC-TV. November 1971.

Just try to imagine daytime network TV today airing this. (Come on, Ellen!) Or even late-night cable TV, for that matter. (What's the most "radical" that HBO can come up with---"Entourage"?)

While I hate John Lennon's posthumous "generic PC feel-good" reputation, perpetuated by the widow Ono, his post-Beatles albums are actually anything but blindly "feel-good." I recommend most 1970's "Plastic Ono Band" for its pure, raw punk. And 1974's "Walls and Bridges" for its pure, raw sadness (alleviated by one of my favorite happy pop songs, "Surprise Surprise").

"Woman is the Nigger of the World" appeared on his 1972 album "Some Time in New York City."

In remembrance of the patient Ginny, 1983, for listening to it with me over and over again one night, after I'd found a rare copy while we were out at the local mall! (My idea of a good time...but, um, probably not hers...) :)

No comments: