Tuesday, February 03, 2009

"A penny, not a dime! Ha-ha-ha-ha!"

Speaking of the polite job conversations mentioned earlier...

Today my lunch cost something-and-33 cents. Instead of handing the lunch-lady a quarter and a dime for change, I accidentally handed her a quarter and a penny. Oooops! Much forced hilarity ensued, which tired me out tremendously.

I had a discussion once with a co-worker back at my corporation in Austin. Did we like the polite elevator conversations, or did we not? Sometimes, such simple things can be pleasant, making you feel "connected to humanity" for a second... My co-worker fell mostly on this side of the line, whereas such conversations tended, maybe 75% of the time, to make me feel a bit existentially ill at the utter blank triteness of it all... And I'm not being snotty when I say that. I don't feel "nausea" because Sartre told me 45 years ago that I should---that kind of thing actually does usually wear me out mentally.

On the same topic: Today at work I was talking with a co-worker about how much I miss working in Manhattan. She's from Long Island, lives with her mother, has worked both in the city and in the suburbs. To her, driving to the suburbs and taking a train to Manhattan is about the same, and she wondered what I liked so much about working in Manhattan...

Oh, I dunno. Not having to eat in a company cafeteria every day. Being able to step outside during your lunch-hour to go to the post office, or to buy a pair of shoes, or a candle, or a book, or a Christmas gift. Being able to grab a hot-dog from a street-vendor and sit on a bench in Union Square for lunch, watching passers-by. Hopping on the speedy, to-the-point subway instead of trolling along on the bus for an extra hour. Looking at the beautiful buildings. Spotting Elvis Costello walking by. Talking with co-workers about their encounters with Marilyn Monroe back in the day as opposed to talking about what your mom made for dinner last night. You know, little things...

No comments: