Friday, June 19, 2009

Austin and Two Hoots

Much of the soundtrack of Austin, and my youth, will always be to me Rick Broussard and Two Hoots and a Holler:



My library-friend Jerry introduced me to the band and, back in the late '80s/early '90s, we'd go see them every Monday at the Black Cat on 6th Street, where Pabst Blue Ribbon was $1 a can, the hot-dogs were grilled over an open bonfire, and when you had to pee, you went to the wooden outhouse out back. (The city later closed the place down for health reasons.)

Rick and Two Hoots played brilliant original songs. And his covers/influences were also some of my favorites: The Clash, George Jones, Patsy Cline, Buddy Holly, Elvis Costello...

I later went out with Rick a couple of times, semi-disastrously, but remain excited by and loyal to the man's soul and spirit and talent.

No comments: