Sunday, September 27, 2009

Big Hug

People hug all the time. Mostly they don't mean it, they just barely touch. I'm not a hugger. I try to avoid hugging most of the time, 'cause it's usually phony.

One hug in my life that I really felt, where I remember actually deeply feeling the other person's body, spirit, sadness... my friend Kathy, in the summer of '88. We'd been friends in Austin and this hug was to say goodbye because she was going back to Fort Worth for the summer.

Earlier that spring: I will never forget how fucked up we were one night, crashing in her apartment. At some point, I guess it was the next morning, we both needed to brush our teeth. I didn't have my toothbrush with me, and was prepared to do without... but Kath offered me her own toothbrush. She offered me her own toothbrush.

Years later, I also remember the fun time we had going to watch "Chicago"... and loving it so much we had to immediately afterwards stop off at the WalMart, or whatever it was, to buy the soundtrack CD, and then go home to her apt to listen AND DANCE to it over and over and over and over and over... (Thanks to Kathy's husband for being so nice and patient with us!) :)

Other things over the years: When I was feeling sick and isolated, she brought me a surprise McDonald's meal. When I didn't have a car, she took me for groceries. One birthday, when I didn't have anybody to share it with, she came over with movies and pizza. (The latter two long after she was married and lived way out in the country, far away from an easy jaunt to my house.)

I miss Kathy a lot.

No comments: