Sunday, September 13, 2009

Let's Pretend/Big Guys

The very first song on the very first album I ever owned. (The Bay City Rollers' "Dedication," 1976.) Reminds me of the times I was allowed to play my albums in the house. After school, of course, when there was no one else there. But also, in the mornings while I was getting ready for school, so my mom was forced to listen to everything I was "into" at the time! And then at night, as I was going to sleep, I was allowed to put on one side of an album, volume turned way low. (For a while there in the beginning, "Let's Pretend" ruled my world!)

1st album ever: BCR "Dedication"
2nd album: BCR (untitled debut)
3rd album: Shaun Cassidy (untitled debut)
4th album: BCR "It's a Game"
5th album: Shaun Cassidy "Born Late"

And after that, Leif Garrett's debut album, and more BCR and Shaun, and then, finally, some real rock shit hit this 12-year-old fan in '77 with KISS and Cheap Trick et al...

p.s. RE Cheap Trick's "Live at Budokan": There was a song on there called "Big Eyes": "Big eyes, I keep falling for those big eyes..." After playing that side of the album mornings before school for weeks, my mom finally came to me and asked, "Why, exactly, is he singing about 'Big Guys'?" :)




No comments: