Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year, 2010!

I just rang in 2010 (alone, with a bottle of Freixenet, after working on my Joan website -- not depressing at all!) watching Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin on CNN, and got goosebumps watching the people in Times Square and listening to Frank's "New York, New York"!

When I was little, my mom would always let me stay up 'til midnight on New Year's Eve, with a glass of champagne, and we'd always watch "Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve" live from NYC; Dick's age/illness prevent him from hosting any longer, but... the beautiful, beautiful city remains.

When I was little, I always dreamed about actually being in Times Square on New Year's Eve... Now that I'm 44 and have lived here for the past 3 New Year's Eves, there's some reality that has set in: If you venture to Times Square for the year-end celebration, you're then crunched in with a million people for hours, unable to leave the area or go to the bathroom... Hate to admit it, but, given the hard-core reality... For the past 3 years, I've still just been watching the Times Square festivities on TV! (Some things are best left for the young and/or hardy tourists.) :)

No comments: