Thursday, June 24, 2010

New Place News



Only 2 more nights of sleeping on that crappy green fold-out chair (pictured)! I will celebrate the one-week anniversary of my new one-room apartment by having a bed delivered, finally. (I waited this long because I dreaded having to take a bus to some damn out-of-the-way mattress place... Then I figgered out: There's such a thing as THE INTERNET, dummy! Where one can... ORDER THINGS ONLINE! Doh.)

My mattress set-to-be goes by the whimsical moniker of "Kids Delux." (No, it doesn't have pictures of airplanes or Holly Hobby on it. And it is a full, not a twin or bunk-bed!) And total price, including metal frame and delivery, will be around $250 -- a bargain!

After the bed, my immediate needs include only one chair (maybe with ottoman) for under $100 -- I'll check Craig's List for something cheap-but-interesting/vintage. And check Craig's List also for a cheap delivery guy. Aside from the chair, I need a printer/fax machine -- I think the Best Buy near my mom's house has these for under $150.(Thank goodness for all of the freelance work I've been getting over the past few weeks! Mainly from a publishing co. I used to work for back East -- the irony. When all my paychecks come in, I'll have rent paid up through October, plus plenty left over for bills and cheap furniture.)


After that, I'm pretty much situated. Things will only need tweaking then: one more chair, or possibly a love-seat. An entertainment center/hutch for the TV/DVD player. A small bookshelf for my DVDs/CDs. A coffee table or 2 end tables. Two cheap/cool vintage lamps from eBay, Craig's List, and/or local yard sales. Oh, and a HUGE framed photograph of the NYC skyline that I saw on an online art print shop. (Just to torture myself! Ah, the days when I could step out of my apartment and walk 3 minutes to the Hudson and gaze upon that gorgeousness in person! I do indeed miss that $1500 apartment's grand location! Not so much the size -- I'm actually relatively content in a one-room apartment -- but that location... the beauty of not just the NYC view but also the turn-of-the-century quaint apartment buildings and the Northeastern flora... I miss Weehawken!) :)

Speaking of walking (I sold my car when I moved to NY and, being jobless, can't afford a new one): Texas ain't set up for it. It's deathly hot. There aren't shops on every block. (In my neighborhood -- touted as an up-and-coming "hipster" area, and where I lived for 6 years before moving to NY -- a couple of small theaters, several restaurants, and a beer-store or two.) Buses come infrequently and not always according to schedule. People look at you, the sad, wilted walker, with pity. Up north I used to walk several miles a day with no problem. Here, I tried waiting at a bus stop to go to the supermarket 2 miles away... within minutes, my makeup was melted and my hair was nearly sopping wet. After 20 minutes, I just gave up waiting and schlepped myself back home. (Luckily, my mother took me grocery shopping when I moved to my new place, so I wasn't desperate for anything... But still. It's going to be a pain in the ass just to go to my bank or to the drug-store for work-supplies, or to get a few grocery items. Sigh. Did I say already that I miss Weehawken?! Big grocery store, post office, bank -- all a 5-minute walk. Drug store -- 10 minutes. Bus stop into NYC -- across the street. Time into NYC -- 15 minutes. OK, OK... No use torturing myself! But... dammit. And in a few months it's going to be fall there without me...)

No comments: