Saturday, July 24, 2010

Crappy Family

After 5 weeks of no grocery shopping, I finally ran out of everything except spaghetti and finally caught a bus to the supermarket today.

When I first moved into my new apartment in June, with no car, my mom took me to the grocery store at the time.

I thought that after that, I'd get a call from either my mom or my brother/wife (all of whom live under a mile away): "Hey, I'm going to the store. Need a ride there?"

I wasn't just stubbornly waiting for them to act nice. I've been pretty independent all of my life, not asking anyone for anything unless I was desperate.

Wouldn't you think, though, that living within a mile of me, they'd think of me and at some point wonder if I, having no car, needed to go to the grocery store?

Nah.

My first grocery trek after 5 weeks was fine. A half-mile walk to and from my bus-stop, sweating like a pig each way. I made some friends at the bus-stops. On the way there, I sat next to "Simon." We talked about not having a job. After he determined that I had a "good personality," he suggested I apply to the State Hospital, which is hiring at $8 an hour. We also talked politics: Who am I for, Bill White or Rick Perry? "God, not Perry. I can't vote for a former male cheerleader." On the way home, grocery bags in tow, got asked if there was an ice-skating rink at Highland Mall. And how nice was the mall. I only wish I knew.

I actually don't extremely mind making conversation with these random guys. I don't mind taking a bus anywhere (except for the uber-sweating in these temperatures). When I was in NYC, I, like everyone else, took the subways, talked to others in whatever park. (I can't count how many times I was sitting on a random bench and making random conversation with a person next to me.)

Up north, though, I was alone. I was trying to make it on my own. Down here, I've got my own mother and brother living under one mile away. All know my situation. That I've taken an apartment for $545, that I have no car, no job. (Despite my past history of nice apartments, cars, and jobs.) I gambled when I gave up everything to go to NYC and I lost. Now that I'm back home in Austin... An example: During the World Cup, my brother, whom I've always gotten along with, held soccer-viewing parties at his home. My nephews later told me about them. And I wasn't invited.

My family sucks.

No comments: