Sunday, August 15, 2010

Heartbreak warfare / All we ever do is say goodbye

I've disliked John Mayer ever since I heard him, back in the early 2000s, on an Austin radio station saying condescendingly in an interview how he liked Austin because it wasn't like the rest of Texas. (Fuck you! May be true, but YOU'RE not allowed to say it, you ignorant-of-all-areas-outside-of-NY-and-LA jerk!) In subsequent years came his obnoxious high-profile dating (and kissing-and-telling), and his "Benetton heart/David Duke dick" comment -- the latter particularly annoying because he later cried onstage about saying both that AND the word "nigger" (the latter in reference to his alleged "street cred," not to women he liked to sleep with). Please. We all have our types. Who cares if you're not attracted to black women? And no one, no one -- gangstas especially -- thinks John Mayer has ANY "street cred."

In short, the guy's public persona and pronouncements were obnoxious and pretentious.

A couple of nights ago, though, I was watching re-runs of "The Hills" and "All We Ever Do Is Say Goodbye" came on in the background. I had no idea who it was, but it sounded, in its emotional honesty, like something John Lennon might have written, and I actually teared up... Just looked it up tonight on YouTube, found out it was Mayer.

Around the same night, I came across Mayer's "Heartbreak Warfare" video for the first time on VH1:

I don't care if we don't sleep at all tonight
Let's just fix this whole thing now
I swear to God we're gonna get it right
If you lay your weapon down
Red wine and ambien
You're talking *shit* again, it's heartbreak warfare
Good to know it's all a game
Disappointment has a name, it's heartbreak, heartbreak.

While I initially wanted to turn the channel because it was HIM, I couldn't help listening to the music and lyrics and staying glued to the TV for the duration of the song, wanting to know how he was going to work it out in the song...

Both songs are gorgeous and make my heart hurt. He gave the murkiness of what I've been feeling a name. I can't dislike him any more.



Lightning strikes
Inside my chest to keep me up at night
Dream of ways
To make you understand my pain

Clouds of sulfur in the air
Bombs are falling everywhere
It's heartbreak warfare
Once you want it to begin,
No one really ever wins
In heartbreak warfare

If you want more love,
why don't you say so?
If you want more love,
why don't you say so?

Drop his name
Push it in and twist the knife again
Watch my face
As I pretend to feel no pain

Clouds of sulfur in the air
Bombs are falling everywhere
It's heartbreak warfare
Once you want it to begin,
No one really ever wins
In heartbreak warfare.

If you want more love,
why don't you say so?
If you want more love,
why don't you say so?

Just say so...

How come the only way to know how high you get me
is to see how far I fall
God only knows how much I'd love you if you let me
but I can't break through at all.

It's a heartbreak...

I don't care if we don't sleep at all tonight
Let's just fix this whole thing now
I swear to God we're gonna get it right
If you lay your weapon down
Red wine and ambien
You're talking *shit* again, it's heartbreak warfare
Good to know it's all a game
Disappointment has a name, it's heartbreak, heartbreak.

It's heartbreak warfare.
It's heartbreak warfare.
It's heartbreak warfare.

-----------------------------------------------------



Just when I had you off my head
Your voice comes thrashing wildly through my quiet bed
You say you wanna try again
But I've tried everything but giving in

Why you wanna break my heart again
Why am I gonna let you try

When all we ever do is say goodbye
All we ever do is say goodbye
All we ever do is say goodbye
All we ever do is say goodbye

I bought a ticket on a plane
And by the time it landed you had gone again

I love you more than songs can say
But I can't keep running after yesterday
-------------------------------------------------------

No comments: