Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Dinner With Joan

Just got back from my birthday dinner with my ma, bro, sis-in-law, 8- and 5-year-old nephews.

We ate at my favorite BBQ place in Austin, which is decorated in retro style (aside from old hub-caps and license plates, also lots of old movie posters, magazine covers, etc.)

At our booth, the wall was filled with a mix of vintage magazine covers and sheet music, everyone from Clark Gable to Judy Garland to Perry Como... I immediately started looking for anything with my gal Joan Crawford, with my adult family members meanly teasing me: "Aw, she's not up there. No one likes her." Sadly, I indeed couldn't see her face anywhere... But I kept insisting: "I KNOW she has to be up there SOMEWHERE!" "She's not up there! Give it up!"

As dinner went on, I kept peeking at the wall out of the corner of my eye... Surely... And then, lo and behold, at the very top of the wall, I caught the words "Hollywood Canteen"! I can't remember now which song it was, but there indeed was a piece of sheet music from the movie, with Joan's face in one of the circles featuring the stars! I actually YELLED "A-ha! THERE she is!", startling everyone! :) Vindication!

Later, we all started talking about the time at my old job where people challenged me to find a photo of Joan in a movie scenario (baking a pie, fly-fishing, etc.) -- if I could find it, the co-worker had to put that picture up as their screen-saver!

This for some reason fascinated my 8-year-old nephew, so he started coming up with scenarios: "Joan Crawford rescuing a kitten in a tree!" ("Um, no, don't think she did that...") One that cracked me up: "Joan Crawford breaking a glass!" ("Um, yes, THAT one happened all the time!") :)

Then my sister-in-law had to be a smartie: "Joan Crawford drinking and exhibiting extreme sexual neurosis!" Har-har!

(p.s. Bitch as I might about Texas, it's got THE best food in the world: Brisket, chicken-fried steak, Tex-Mex fajitas and tacos. My mind, heart, and soul might be in New York, but my stomach is definitely right here!) :)

No comments: