Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Skooter Skillz (aka "only connect...FOUR!")


Out the blue today around noon my mom called me up and asked if I wanted to come over and hang out with the nephews, ages 5 and 8. ("Oma" regularly gets them every Monday and Tuesday after school, but today had 'em all day 'cause their mom, a teacher, had a work day, while the kids all over town were off.)

Having just woken up, I was feeling a bit sluggish, but... could not turn down a chance to get out of the house (aka "one-room apt") in this pretty fall weather, plus I just always like being around the smarty little 'phews.

Here's what I learned today:
(1) I can kick an 8-year-old's little ass at "Connect Four"! YES! Three times in a row! Woooooo! Very good for my ego.
(2) I'm a retard when it comes to riding a Razor scooter. The four of us -- Oma, me, 8-year-old T, and 5-year-old T -- went for a long walk around the nicely landscaped walking paths surrounding my mom's housing development. We brought the scooter and bike along. The 8-year-old showed off on the scooter before grabbing the bike and taking off. Then my 69-year-old mother jumped on the Razor and also showed us how it was done. (Turns out she had a scooter as a kid on the Mean Sidewalks of Germany back in the '40s. You never forget, obviously, how to ride a scooter! Damn, woman!)

So now, just me and the 5-year-old were left with our skooter skillz unproven. We eyed each other. "Get on, T!" I encouraged helpfully. "No, YOU get on, Aunt Steffie!" "No, you can go." "No, YOU go!"

Me [jumping on the scooter]: "OK! Watch me!" [Scooter wobbles forward a few inches. I can't keep my balance. I jump off.] "OK, I wasn't ready. Now watch!" [wobble-wobble-tip, I jump off]

T. then grabs the scooter and jumps on. Same tipping-over problems as me. When HE gets frustrated, though, his Oma rescues him and pushes him along while he cruises... chortling as he tells Oma to try to run me -- now walking ahead on the path -- over.

Oma: "You don't really want to run Aunt Steffie over."
T: "No really. Let's run her over [heh-heh-heh]!"

Well, I still had Connect Four to feel victorious about once we got home... Plus some newfangled "fizzy" Kool-Aid to drink.


No comments: