Saturday, December 11, 2010

For to Be a Raver for the Saviour

Since finding them dirt cheap on Amazon, I've been catching up with buying Plath/Hughes-related books that I need to complete my collection. And just today opened a package that I THOUGHT contained the 2001 Elaine Feinstein Hughes bio... Instead, here's the first thing I saw when I opened the package:


Aaaaaaaaaaagh! Luckily, the Ted-book was underneath it. And the crazy book shown here had a little note stuck on it: "This book compliments of [name of sellers]. Thank you for your purchase." While I initially rolled my eyes, I then thought, "What if this seemingly schmaltzy book has something of wisdom that I could actually use? After all, I once found comfort in Joel Osteen. Why not take a look?" Sure enough...

NEVER BORROW SORROW FROM TOMORROW

Deal only with the present --
never step into tomorrow,
For God asks us to trust Him
and to never borrow sorrow,
For the future is not ours to know,
and it may never be,
So let us live and give our best
and give it lavishly...
For to meet tomorrow's troubles
before they are even ours
Is to anticipate the Saviour
and to doubt His all-wise powers,
So let us be content to solve
our problems one by one,
Asking nothing of tomorrow
except "Thy will be done."

Other gems: "Worry No More -- God Knows the Score" and "Your Life Will Be Blest If You Look for the Best." And my very favorite, which just happens to have an accompanying video on YouTube:



TARDY FOR THE PARTY

Hurry up baby don't be late
I'll meet you at the place
I've been waiting for this day
This weekend let's celebrate
Lookin' like a covergirl
Covered in diamonds and pearls
Take the Benz out for a swirl
Drop that top yeah it's my world

Forget about work and the stress of the week
Party all night and we won't go to sleep
We own the club oh yeah we own the life
and I am not leaving 'till I see daylight

Don't be tardy for the party. Oooo, ooooo.
Don't be tardy for the party. Oooooo, Ooooo.
Don't be tardy for the party. Oooo, oooo.
Don't be tardy for the party.

I'll be feelin' good by nine
After my third glass of wine
On the dance floor lookin' fine
All the boys tryin' to get in mine
Headed back to VIP
So tight that I can't breathe
I look good in this heat
Sweat drippin' all over me

Forget about work and the stress of the week
Party all night and we won't go to sleep
We own the club oh yeah we own the life
and I am not leaving 'till I see daylight

Don't be tardy for the party. Oooo, ooooo.
Don't be tardy for the party. Oooooo, Ooooo.
Don't be tardy for the party. Oooo, oooo.
Don't be tardy for the party. Ooooo, ooooo.
Don't be tardy, tardy, tardy.

I find the last one most inspirational. And, interestingly, in its own way, it shares a bit of the same philosophy as "Never Borrow..." (I'm tempted, actually, to post "Never Borrow Sorrow from Tomorrow" on my Facebook page. I'd bet you anything that I'd get at least 5 "Like"s from my old hometown friends, all of whom seem to now be religious scripture-quoting nuts, despite 4 marriages for one, various adulteries for another, etc. All sans irony.)

No comments: