Monday, December 20, 2010

Tabatha's Salon Takeover - Houston

On Bravo's show tonight, hairdresser Tabatha Coffey went to a Houston salon, where she made at least two comments about "hillbillies." Really? I just went all over Bravo and Tabatha's Facebook page with the below:

"RE the "hillbilly" comments about Houston: Houston's the 4th largest city in the US, with a population of 2.3 million. It's also a world-renowned art, opera, ballet, and theater center. Last time I checked (oh, 20 minutes ago), Tabatha hails from a former penal colony and is now living in Ridgewood, New Jersey. Population 24,936. And ranked, by a New Jersey magazine, the 61st best place to live in New Jersey. Who's the hillbilly?"

You know, I'm a native Texan who's been in the Houston area exactly twice, both times visiting college friends over the weekend. I don't particularly like the city, or what it stands for. But I'll be damned if I let some outsider ignorantly dis it as "hillbilly." I'm so sick of that knee-jerk anti-Southern bullshit.

Reminds me of the time I was in grad school in San Francisco, sitting on a bus in front of some girls discussing where THEY were thinking about going to grad school. One girl told the other that she'd been offered a grant at the University of Texas, but, "I don't want to live in Texas."

Please. Living in Austin is a liberal's wet dream. Living in Houston would be a hairdresser's wet dream.

If you don't know a place from personal experience, then shut the fuck up about it. Period.

1 comment:

Beth Austin said...

Funnily, after I posted this, a regular reader of the Joan website wrote and told me that it was HIS Houston salon featured in the show!! Small world! :) :)