Thursday, September 08, 2011

What would YOU do?

Today at a convenience store, I saw a guy slide something from the shelves into his pocket. I made eye contact with him and said in a low voice, "I saw that." He then got in line with other items, with me a couple of people behind him; he kept looking back at me, and I shook my head and mouthed, "Put it back."

When he finally got to the register, he did take what turned out to be 2 packs of chopsticks (!) out of his pocket and paid for them. As he was leaving, he actually said to me, "Thanks. I'd forgotten about those." (He hadn't forgotten about them; but thankfully for my psyche, he didn't say, "F you, bitch!")

Now, what would YOU have done? (1) Ignored it, none of your business; (2) What I did; (3) Immediately gone to a clerk and pointed out the guy stealing.

The whole thing was stressful for me! I mean, it turned out perfect, but it might not have. What if he hadn't ended up paying for the stupid chopsticks? Would I have yelled out, "Stop that man!" Would I have been silent until I got up to the register and only THEN told the clerk, "That guy stole something" and then felt like an idiot? What if he'd confronted me with a "Mind your own business, Bitch!" And, the guy was Asian and obviously a young student. What if it had been a gangsta-looking black guy or a rough, drug-addled-looking white street guy? Would I have been so quick with my "I saw that" and "Put it back"??

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

You are better than me. I think you handled it just fine. I'd be too afraid of a beatdown or a knife pulling after the fact. It also depends on the scenario as you suggested.

mymn said...

I think I would (most likely) just ignore the whole thing.