Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Just ain't gonna do it

Tuesday morning one of my 7 temp agencies called me and offered me a job for the whole month of November. $8 an hour.

The minimum wage in the USA is $7.25 an hour. The MINIMUM wage. For high schoolers working at McDonald's, et al.

If I accepted an $8-an-hour job, at 40 hours a week, I'd make $1280 a month. That's $15,360 per year. BEFORE taxes.

I turned it down. And there was guilt. Why was there guilt? Well, because I should be a "real go-getter," willing to do ANYTHING to make it...

$8 an hour is slave wages. I made $1200 a month 25 years ago when I was a kid. Before I'd earned any degree, before I had any work experience at all.

I fucking REFUSE this vampiric bullshit. (Watch out! Before long I might be out on the "Occupy" front lines!)

No comments: