Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving

Things just keep getting worse and worse for me in general, but on this Thanksgiving I did have a nice respite -- being around family members.

The whole dinner was pleasant, at my brother and sister-in-law's house, with her parents, my mom, the nephews, and me. Everyone's pretty low-key, none of the "drama" that commentators on television talk about happening on Thanksgiving.

We watched the Cowboys, ate, chatted. I watched my brother and the boys play tag football in the back yard (and thought it was mightily cute whenever the nephews looked over at me when they'd made a good play!).

Then we all played the card game "Apples to Apples": Everyone gets 7 cards with words/phrases and one person's the judge each time -- the judge overturns one card with a theme word like "Sharp" or "Glamorous" or "Wild." The rest of us pick a card from our hand that we think the judge will choose. First to five wins. I personally think my brother fucked up the game by picking "John Philip Sousa" as the winning definition for "Sharp" when I had put down "barbed wire" and one nephew had put down "diamond"... but that's just me! :) (His rationale: "To be a bandleader, you've got to have an acute, sharp sense of music!" -- everyone groaned. Just as we groaned when the judge for the word "Wild" picked "golf-ball-sized hail" over "rednecks" and "rock-n-roll"!) :)

Then my mom went home, my sister-in-law's parents went to sleep, the nephews drowsed on the couch; we three grown-ups left drank cheap wine and watched and cheered the Longhorns as they beat the Aggies in the last seconds of their very final game after 100-something years...

I felt like a normal person for the first time in months.

No comments: