Saturday, February 11, 2012

RIP Whitney Houston (1963 - 2012)





Life is short.

I was never a huge personal fan of either Michael Jackson or Whitney Houston. They weren't SPIRITUALLY important to me the way, say, The Beatles were, but both were part of the soundtrack of my youth. Their music is ingrained in my mind when I think of myself in college in the mid-'80s, listening to the radio, going to clubs. Although I was often sad in my early college years because of a personal loss, I still felt excited and happy whenever I heard some of their music. Despite the hype, there was definitely something THERE besides the production and the hype.

Aside from inspiring nostalgia, their deaths spook me because they themselves were so personally haunted despite such superior surface achievements. I'd hate to think that "the inability to intimately connect" kills, but...

At this time, I wonder about the reaction of Robyn Crawford, the woman who was perceived and castigated (by fans and family alike) as being "too close" to Whitney for years before Houston married Bobby Brown...

In 1992, Whitney's family had an "intervention," in which they told Whitney to get rid of her "girlfriend" and find a man. The "man" that Whitney picked was Bobby Brown.

In hindsight, who was worse for Whitney? Robyn Crawford or Bobby Brown?

I don't know what happened. I'm so sorry, Whitney.

(Below: Clive Davis of Arista when he first discovered Houston in the early '80s. Compare what she looked like when she dressed as herself to what she was turned into -- a drag queen.)

3 comments:

diane said...

Finally, someone asks the obvious. THank you for this post. I don't blog or have a media outlet but it is amazing to me how this clear demarcation in her personal life is ignored. The rampant effects of homophobia strike again. We may never know what happened with Robyn but I do know from several personal sources that they were very close for many years, spent every day together for over 10 years and no one even interviews her now. Odd. I hope for peace for all involved. Tragic.

Diane

Beth Austin said...

Here're a few things I found re Robyn:
(1) From an earlier bio of Houston, re the fights Robyn had with Houston's family, et al:

http://panachereport.com/channels/old_school_update/whitneyhouston.htm

(2) From Bobby Brown's bio (posted today on the Daily Beast):

In Bobby Brown: The Truth, The Whole Truth, and Nothing But..., an authorized biography, Brown said that the marriage was “doomed from the very beginning. I think we got married for all the wrong reasons. Now, I realize Whitney had a different agenda than I did when we got married ... I believe her agenda was to clean up her image, while mine was to be loved and have children. The media was accusing her of having a bisexual relationship with her assistant, Robin [sic] Crawford. Since she was the American Sweetheart and all, that didn’t go too well with her image ... In Whitney’s situation, the only solution was to get married and have kids. That would kill all speculation, whether it was true or not.”

(3) And here's a (generic) statement that just came out from Robyn:

http://www.lipstickalley.com/f343/robyn-crawford-whitney-houstons-death-369861/

Beth Austin said...

Bobby's statement in his bio and the violence with which Houston's family reacted to Crawford (as well as the jealousy with which Crawford reacted to men's interest in Houston and the fact that they were inseparable for so long, including living together), makes it pretty obvious to me that they were a couple. Though some fans on various sites seem outraged at and in complete denial about any such notion, however obvious!

Reminds me of arguments I've gotten into with people re Frances Farmer and her live-in girlfriend Jean Radcliffe: "Of COURSE Frances wasn't gay!" To which I replied: "Farmer and Radcliffe lived together for 10 years. They shared a bank account. They started businesses together. And Radcliffe put up with waaaaaaay more shit than any 'friend' would put up with! What about ANY of that indicates that they were NOT a couple?!"

And, oddly, some Joan Crawford fans, of all people, continue to deny that Joan ever had sex with women... despite about 4 or 5 different reliable sources -- including Marilyn Monroe -- saying that she did. (And this denial coming mainly from GAY men!)

As a gay woman, I'm VERY aware of the denial that goes on out there, from all kinds of quarters, even in the face of the most obvious proof. It is truly psychotic. And I can definitely see how that sick attitude from society (and from her own family) contributed to Whitney's demise. Her internal conflicts must have been HUGE; how else to try to relieve them than by drugging herself up?