Monday, April 23, 2012

Money Honey

My 7-week temp job was scheduled to end this coming Monday. After this, and the previous 6-week temp job, I was mildly looking forward to a break, but also much more dreading the down-time: more calling temp agencies every day to announce availability, more shuffling around wasting energy trying to get $12-an-hour sustenance jobs, more worrying about money, more nothing-to-do-but-drink-and-sleep-til-3pm...

Today, though, my boss sent an e-mail: "Hey! Come see me if you have a minute." I did and I did. And she told me that I'm needed through the end of summer!! The money is SO boat-loadish. What I'll earn through August will sustain me through the end of the year, even if I get no other work. I've only had Valium once in my life (a direct injection, after a wisdom-tooth-removal gone bad), and this announcement felt EXACTLY like that... A wave of pure relief, "relief" made purely physical, muscles gone kind of rubbery, mind all a-ga-ga, and face stupidly smiling at the world... And it was a GREAT day to be stupidly smiling: 78, no humidity, crystal-clear skies, and me walking around wearing pretty clothes and head-tossable earrings and harboring this great-news secret all to myself... How pretty and grateful and lucky I felt walking around this afternoon.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I am very happy for you! Congratulations.

Beth Austin said...

Thanks, Jennifer! :) I feel like I've been walking around completely tensed up for over 3 years now; it's nice to be able to relax just a little!