Sunday, May 13, 2012

O say can you see

A sad thing happened to me this afternoon: A random, well-dressed, 50-ish man came up to me at a downtown bus-stop and started to ask if his bus had yet passed. But before he could get the words out of his mouth, he stopped himself and said to me, "Your eyes are so pretty! I'm sorry. Your eyes are really pretty." I was tired from sitting at the bus-stop for too long, and so wasn't flirty with him, just said, "Thank you. What bus are you trying to catch?"

He told me, and I told him which buses I'd seen, and then he sat down and left me alone.

And then I contemplated: "When was the last time anyone told me that my eyes were pretty?" I've pretty much wasted the past few years of my life clinging on to random online people who neither liked my eyes nor my writing nor much of anything about me...other than the fact that I paid attention to THEM! Wow. A hard thing to admit: I've wasted so much time and energy on people who didn't give a whit about me at all --- not my looks, not my mind, not anything... Wow.

No comments: