Thursday, May 24, 2012

Shopped Out??

I think I've -- gasp! -- almost come to the end of my feverish CD/clothing shopping spree I've been on since April. (Well, just 4 more things I "need," clothing-wise: dark blue espadrilles, a white purse, an earth-toned belt and purse.) I finally reached the near-saturation point this past Monday with my first trip to a mall in years, where I got 6 more summer shirts, a purse, 3 Ts, 3 tanks, a raspberry pair of shorts. After 5 or so years of being poor and feelin' shabby, I think I've finally gotten to a point where I feel decently dressed! :)

One irony: I'm currently unable to wear the majority of new shoes that I've bought! (I just went and counted: I've bought a whopping 10 pairs of shoes and 2 pairs of sandals this spring! Oh, and 4 pairs of flip-flops.) For some reason, my ankles started swelling around a month ago and have remained that way almost constantly. Because I'm constantly sitting at a desk during the day and again, at my computer, when I come home? (But for the majority of the past 10 years, that's exactly what I've been doing; and now I'm also walking a mile-and-a-half a day from the bus to work and back, so it seems that would HELP the circulation...) Too much drinking? (I'm drinking LESS now that I'm working steadily.) Onset of diabetes? Cancer?! (Without health care, I can't go anywhere to find out about those possibilities.) God's punishment for bragging about all of my new shoes??!! (God, give me a break! You know as well as I do that I've had a crappy wardrobe for a VERY long time; is it so bad to momentarily revel in niceness?! Once the temp job ends in August, I'll be back to struggling again, so can I just ENJOY these few months??) ;)

So now, dammit, I have all these nice outfits that I want to wear with EXACTLY the right pair of shoes, and instead I have to rotate between the 4 or so pair that will fit with the CANKLES! Arrrrrrrgh!

p.s. Just have to mention one recent purchase from Amazon that has made me happy: a rainbow-colored umbrella! I used to own one, which I got for $10 maybe 6 or 7 years ago. Had to leave it behind in Weehawken when I was packing to come home; it absolutely would NOT fit in the suitcase, and I thought, "It's just an umbrella; you can easily find another one later." Once back in Austin, I was too poor to buy a new one, so my mom gave me an old beige one of hers... (A BEIGE one?! THAT's not fun when it's dreary out! Sigh.) And then when I started working more steadily, I started searching for a rainbow-one online...but they were all $25 or $30, which seemed too much for an umbrella... My new one was only $17! And just as bright-n-cheery as the one I used to have! Hurrah! :)

2 comments:

e.f. bartlam said...

A beige umbrella? Why not a gray one that drips water?

I think you got it fixed.

Beth Austin said...

:) :) :)