Saturday, June 16, 2012

Obama vs. Romney

My presidential voting record since I turned 18:

1984: Mondale
1988: Dukakis
1992: Clinton
1996: Perot
2000: Gore
2004: Kerry
2008: McCain

2012? Well, since I wasn't an Obama fan the first time he ran, I'm certainly not knee-jerkingly supporting him this time. In 2008, I supported Hillary Clinton, and I was disgusted by how she was slammed in the left-wing media by newscasters who were overtly pro-Obama (including one MSNBC dweeb who said that Chelsea Clinton was "pimping" for her mother). I ended up supporting McCain in 2008 because he had a record of common-sense-ness: campaign finance reform, immigration reform. Obama, on the other hand, had a record of... nothing.

In 2012, the Reagan debate question of 1980 is first and foremost in my mind: Are you better off than you were 4 years ago?

No, I am not.

Personally, I am certainly not. But I don't want to be all emotional in my decision-making, so here are some stats that I also looked up:

Unemployment 11/08 (end of Bush): 6.7%
Unemployment 05/12 (after 3.5 years of Obama): 8.2%

National debt:
Bush built up 4.9 trillion in debt in 8 years.
Obama built up another 5.1 trillion in 3.5 years.

2011: Moody's downgraded the US credit rating from AAA to AA+ for the first time in 70 years, due specifically to the US government's unwillingness to deal with its deficit spending.

Bush was incompetent, but Obama has been even more so.

The alternative? Romney: a socially liberal, good-government Republican of the old (70s) school, despite what he was forced to say during this season's right-wing primaries. Look at how he, as governor, ran his state (Massachusetts) for an example of his actual leadership. I also don't have a problem with his having been a part of Bain, which went in and "cleaned up" financially troubled companies. And his being called in to clean up the 2002 Olympics is also a positive to me.

Obama speaks well and I think he's charming. But he's never accomplished anything, either before the Presidency or during. Most importantly, he was elected when the country was in an economic crisis, yet he had no economic experience whatsoever, nor did he have any relationship with any legislators who did, who could help him.

I'm only pro-Obama when I hear right-wing Republicans go on about birth control and/or gay rights. As a gay woman, I start to circle the wagons when I hear that kind of anti-woman, anti-gay bullshit. But I don't WANT TO circle the wagons! I WANT TO be completely logical in this election's decision!

No comments: