Tuesday, October 02, 2012

"The Mind of a Middle-Aged Man"

Back in 2010 or so, when I (completely involuntarily, out of extreme financial necessity) lived with my mother for a couple of months and we occasionally did things together (for the first time ever), we were in a used-book store, and I came upon a book titled, "The Mind of a Middle-Aged Man." I laughed out loud when I saw the title! I wasn't trying to be mean, or PC, or ANYTHING... it's just that... the VERY LAST THING of ANY interest to me--in any way!--was/is "the mind of a middle-aged man"! :) Even my mom, who's 71 and has always been very male-oriented, had to laugh at the idea of a whole book about THAT rather limited topic! :)

Now, all that said... I'm now currently in a work environment with a great many middle-aged men, 50-60. Highly paid executives. And they're all NICE! And self-deprecating and funny! I went back and forth yesterday with one man about the joys--or not--of living in Manhattan (downtown Austin even was way too loud for him); another man overheard that conversation and approached me today about where I was living there... turns out his 2 daughters are both now in Brooklyn, previously living in East Austin, just a street away from where I lived up until my move to NYC in 2007.

And my immediate boss: When I first started this temp gig last week, I'd told a younger guy who was training me that I'd had a bad experience at my last temp job, where everyone was always trying to make me feel bad. (They weren't actually "yelling," just psychologically "yelling"!) So, feeling comfortable with the young guy, I asked facetiously, "No one's going to be mean and YELL at me here, are they?" My boss, in passing, overheard that, and said, "No, no yelling. I'm afraid it's usually the other way around." Meaning, the secretary yelling at HIM! :) That was cute and nice.

Here's what I've discovered, and what I very much like, about some middle-aged men: When they're highly paid AND mentally occupied with real intellectual/business issues, they're completely secure with themselves. And that's reflected in how they interact with others--both their peers and their support staff. (And in their family lives, I'm guessing.)

Sanity. The middle-aged men in my current work environment feel like utter sanity after what I've been living through for most of my life (and especially the last 5 years)!

No comments: