Monday, November 05, 2012

Election Days '08/'12


The past 4 years have pretty much SUCKED for me! On Election Day 2008, I had a brand-new 6-month copy-editing gig that started the next week; I'd just heard the week before from Sandra, a college crush from poetry class, after 22 years; Gracie was still alive... The crisp, cool air of Weehawken seemed full of possibilities. I voted for McCain, but I didn't care at all that Obama won; I got goosebumps when his victory was announced, hoping for the best for the future.

4 years later at Election Day 2012: Eh. Doing secretarial temp work (a big step up from last year's poverty, esp. after the money garnered from this year's spring/summer of copy-editing work, but...I'm NOW doing secretarial work); the whole Sandra-thing a complete fiasco from almost Day One (four years of that game-playing, soul-deadening bullshit: Yuck). The struggles of the past 2 years just to get to this basic head-above-water financial stage. Yuck.

I'm voting for Obama tomorrow for civil rights reasons: I'm gay, and gay people should have all the civil rights that straight people have. I'm a woman, and no one (especially old, rich, right-wing male politicians) has the right to tell any woman what to do with her body (and the de-funding of Planned Parenthood, which provides birth control and health care to poor women---like I've been for the past 5 years---is disgusting).

Economically, Romney would actually be a better manager of the economy. (But neither he nor Obama have any plan for stopping the bleeding of American jobs overseas. Both are beholden to Big Business interests who fund their campaigns---and those folks want to pay workers as little as possible in order to make their rich shareholders as much as possible.)

So...Regardless of who wins the Presidency, the future looks "Eh" right now, for me, at least.

No comments: