Thursday, November 29, 2012

Tennessee Williams


"To be passionate and to be lonely isn't the easiest of things in the world."
--Tennessee Williams













--------------------------------------------

I finished Williams's extremely frank and sweet and enjoyable "Memoirs" a couple of weeks ago and am now about halfway through the very well-researched/written '95 bio by Lyle Leverich. And then the 2 volumes of complete plays await! I'm so anal, I want to start at the very beginning and read ALL in order, rather than skipping around...We'll see. And I thought FOR SURE I'd at least read a couple of them already, but I think I'm just remembering seeing the movies that were based on them ("Streetcar," "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof," "Suddenly, Last Summer," etc.).

I'm so ignorant regarding most playwrights. I've been REALLY knocked out by the profound sociological/psychological truths of, say, "St. Joan" by Shaw and "A Doll's House" by Ibsen, but never explored the works of either further...

No comments: