Monday, February 11, 2013

Where's my damn LIFESTYLE?!

In the past couple of days, I've at various times simply needed some glue, some band-aids, a sandwich, some reserved books at the library, and a visit to my bank's ATM for some cash. Now, in the Olden Days (a week-and-a-half ago), I could have walked to get any or all of these things downtown during my lunch hour...

As it currently is -- dramatic SIGH! -- the glue and band-aids and cash have to wait for my weekly bus-trip to the supermarket; today's "quick bite to eat" involved a 2-mile hike along ugly, barren streets and non-existent sidewalks; the books took a special Saturday bus trip -- and once there, I couldn't even lounge around and read on a perfect gray, drizzly afternoon 'cause the homeless contingent had taken over every single table. (Oh, those thoughtless, selfish Homeless!) :)

So, dammit, yes... now that I'm no longer working downtown, my LIFESTYLE is now officially defunct.

Though, I AM extremely lucky in having a 1-month temp full-time copyediting job that starts next week; and also in having several months of freelance copyediting work to do at home at a huge pay rate (40 hours this week, then 15 hours per week once I start the month-long temp job, then back to 40 after that thru May if no other day job turns up--that stuff is going to pay all of my bills through next December). So I can't really complain... OR CAN I?? (heh-heh-heh)

Really, I should probably just shut up! And maybe go back and read some of my blog entries from 2010 or 2011 when I quite often just had something like $12 to my name at any given time (enough for a 6-pack and a pack o' Marlboro Red Labels)--in pennies and dimes! :)

And come on: For the next few months, I get to do what I like to do -- copyedit -- and NOT have to smile and answer phones and make travel/room/food arrangements all day. The actual subservient job duties of the Job-That-Got-Away... I hated with every arrogant fiber of my Leo being! :)

I may not have a quick walk to the corner to get a sandwich or band-aids at lunch. But I am, for the time being, FREE. (Well, sort of. I don't have to answer phones. Or be at a place at 8am every day. But...the closet capitalist in me still protests: I want a sandwich or slice when I want it!)

No comments: