Wednesday, April 10, 2013

RE "Evil"

EFB: Below is a case I do consider pretty close to "evil":

http://www.murderpedia.org/male.M/m1/mcduff-kenneth.htm


But to me, the evil aspects aren't limited to just Kenneth McDuff's deliberate acts. They include deliberate acts by law enforcement.

As for McDuff: I first became aware of him after a 1991 murder of a young Austin woman (28 to my 26; her name was Colleen Reed) who had gone to wash her car around 9:30pm on a mild evening the week after Christmas. (How often had I gone out in the evening to do chores by myself in Austin? And that carwash on Lamar Blvd wasn't in a bad area.) McDuff and an accomplice kidnapped her, raped and tortured her for a few days, then murdered her.

I didn't know the name "Kenneth McDuff" in '91. He wasn't identified until he murdered another young woman, this time in Waco, the next year and was arrested for that crime. He was executed by the State of Texas in 1998.

OK. A snake's gonna be a snake. Here's the shocking part to me, though: The law had several opportunities to stop him. That's where THEIR "evil" comes in. (Worse, because they're supposed to be the Good Guys. The Smart and Rational Guys.)

First: McDuff had been SENTENCED TO DEATH in 1966 for the murders of 3 teenagers: he'd shot 2 boys in the face, and raped and strangled their female companion, all for no reason. But...after the US Supreme Court overturned the Death Penalty in 1972 and
"due to extremely crowded Texas prisons, McDuff was paroled in 1989. Upon release McDuff was arrested on a series of parole violations, but he was never locked up for any substantial length of time until he was arrested for the murder of a 22-year-old Texan woman [Melissa Northrup in Waco in '92]..."

Not to be a Nancy Grace about it, but let me just get this straight: He killed 3 random teenagers in cold blood for no reason. But gets parole only 23 years later. That, to me, is just about as sick in its nonsensicality as McDuff's own actions.

Here's another horrible thing that I read about The Law's handling of McDuff: The following came out at his trial for the Northrup murder in '92: In early '92 (after his murder of Reed but before Northrup), a car later identified as owned by McDuff was travelling around in central Texas when a police car pulled up beside it. When the officers glanced over, they saw a woman holding up her handcuffed hands to the window, obviously screaming and gesturing to them. Only minorly alarmed, the officers put on their lights. The other car sped up and raced away. The officers briefly gave chase. Then, luckily for McDuff, he crossed a county line. "Eh," the officers decided. They turned around at the county line.

No one knows who that woman was. We can pretty well guess what happened to her. The officers were not even reprimanded.

The behavior of those officers was, to me, Stupid and Evil. The decision to parole Kenneth McDuff in 1989 was, to me, Stupid and Evil.

I very much believe in the Death Penalty. For people like McDuff. Like Jeffrey Dahmer. Like Ted Bundy. Like the two men who committed the recent murders of the family of four in Connecticut. People who kill and rape/torture random people for no reason.

But not (1) for criminals who kill police officers in the heat of battle (as is one current determinant of "death penalty"-worthy, at least here in Texas).

And not (2) for Jodi Arias. Who, despite being accused of being a stalker on TV, had an intimate relationship for years with Travis Alexander, right up until just a few hours before she killed him, according to the photos on her camera... Maybe he'd said "come here/go away" just one too many times and she emotionally snapped. As I've opined earlier here, Arias surely does NOT deserve to go UNpunished: To me, 20 years for a "2nd-degree murder"/Crime of Passion seems logical and fair. Just not all of the witch-hunt "Oh my god, Travis Alexander was the BEST person! And Jodi was just EVIL! I could tell because her eyes were so...black and soulless! And she once confronted me in the bathroom and told me to stay away from her boyfriend!"

1 comment:

e.f. bartlam said...

I agree with the sentiment here.

I'm uncomfortable with saying that people are Evil. Obviously people are capable of committing Evil acts and even being consumed by Evil...like our man here.

I think it's an important distinction because while deliberate acts like murder and rape are easy to see as Evil, negligence and ignorance are likelier outlets for Evil. Selfishness and even good intentions play their role.

As a Christian, I take it as evidence of a fallen world (superstition :0). Of course I'd like to meet the person of any belief system that thinks the world isn't rife with incomprehensible problems. For me everything starts with that Judgement.

If we take Jodi at her word then Travis was not without his own Evil. Telling a person that they have no worth outside of being a live sex doll (for oral and rear entry only at that)can only be described as Evil...at the very least it is inviting Evil into the situation.

P.S. I don't know if you ever read Flimsy CUps but, I've got a new invite only blog. Shoot me an email if you want an invitation.