Friday, April 26, 2013

RIP George Jones: 9/12/31 - 4/26/13

I first discovered George Jones's music in 1994, when I was a grad student in San Francisco, homesick for Texas, desperate for anything to cling on to. His music was beautiful...heartful, soulful...I felt everything he was singing. So grateful to him for making me feel at home in a strange place.

Even the dedication to my thesis reads, in part: "...with love and gratitude to George Jones, whose music's sadness and soul and spirit got this Texas girl through San Francisco and grad school."

I got to see him play live twice in the late '90s. Once from very close to the stage at Stubb's in Austin, and the next year from afar at the Austin rodeo.

Thank you, George, for your music (and soul and spirit).









1 comment:

e.f. bartlam said...

Kinda crushed by this one.