Monday, May 20, 2013

"This is fucking awesome!"

"I wear your granddad's clothes...I look incredible..."

Oh my god, turned on to new music by my 11-year-old nephew! Spent Sunday over there for a birthday cookout and was excited to see that he now has his own playlist set up on his dad's Spotify account. I can't remember most of the 50 or so songs he has on there, but -- and the child is straight! -- there were several by Justin Timberlake ("JT" as the nephew calls him) and Bruno Mars! The below was my absolute favorite, though, by Macklemore & Ryan Lewis--super-catchy and clever; and yes, I actually got goosebumps at the really good, happy vibe of it!:



[Intro]
Goodwill... Popping tags... Yeaaaah
What what, what, what (x8)

[Hook: Wanz]
I’m gonna pop some tags, only got twenty dollars in my pocket
I’m, I’m, I’m hunting, looking for a come up, this is fucking awesome

[Verse 1: Macklemore]
Now walk into the club like "What up?! I got a big cock!"
Nah, I’m just pumped, I bought some shit from the thrift shop
Ice on the fringe is so damn frosty
The people like “Damn, that’s a cold ass honky”
Rolling in hella deep, headed to the mezzanine
Dressed in all pink except my gator shoes, those are green
Draped in a leopard mink, girl standing next to me
Probably should've washed this, smells like R. Kelly sheets
(Pissssss...)
But shit, it was 99 cents!
Fuck it, coppin' it, washin' it, ‘bout to go and get some compliments
Passing up on those moccasins someone else has been walking in
Bummy and grungy, fuck it man, I am stunting and flossing and
Saving my money and I’m hella happy, that’s a bargain, bitch
I’ma take your grandpa's style, I’ma take your grandpa's style
No for real, ask your grandpa, "Can I have his hand-me-downs?" (Thank you!)
Velour jumpsuit and some house slippers
Dookie brown leather jacket that I found digging
They had a broken keyboard, I bought a broken keyboard
I bought a skeet blanket, then I bought a knee board
Hello, hello, my ace man, my mellow
John Wayne ain’t got nothing on my fringe game, hell no
I could take some Pro Wings, make them cool, sell those
The sneaker heads would be like “Ah, he got the Velcros”

[Hook x2]

[Verse 2: Macklemore]
What you know about rocking a wolf on your noggin?
What you knowing about wearing a fur fox skin?
I’m digging, I’m digging, I’m searching right through that luggage
One man’s trash, that’s another man’s come up
Thank your granddad for donating that plaid button-
Up shirt, cause right now, I’m up in here stuntin'
I’m at the Goodwill, you can find me in the bins
I’m not, I’m not stuck on searchin' in that section (Mens)
Your grammy, your aunty, your momma, your mammy
I’ll take those flannel zebra jammies, second hand and I’ll rock that motherfucker
The built-in onesie with the socks on the motherfucker
I hit the party and they stop in that motherfucker
They be like “Oh that Gucci, that’s hella tight”
I’m like “Yo, that’s fifty dollars for a t-shirt”
Limited edition, let’s do some simple addition
Fifty dollars for a t-shirt, that’s just some ignorant bitch shit
I call that getting swindled and pimped, shit
I call that getting tricked by business
That shirt’s hella dough
And having the same one as six other people in this club is a hella don’t
Peep game, come take a look through my telescope
Trying to get girls from a brand?
Man you hella won’t, man you hella won't

[Hook]

[Bridge x2: Wanz]
I wear your granddad's clothes, I look incredible
I’m in this big ass coat from that thrift shop down the road

---------------------------------------

While I was hanging out there, the nephew magnanimously allowed me to make my own Spotify requests. ME: "I wanna hear some Stones, man!" HIM: "Oh no! British bands!" That cracked me up. Apparently among 4th graders, there's a "British band" genre that they have some idea of! He didn't seem too impressed with my two requests (I gave up after that): The Stones' "She's a Rainbow" and The Animals' "We Gotta Get Out of This Place," which I thought he and his younger brother would find catchy.

Instead, I got, esp re The Animals song, "Why does he keep repeating the same thing over and over again?" The latter query made me stop and recognize (though I didn't admit it to THEM): "Well, yeah, the chorus IS being repeated an awful lot..." The song had always sounded perfectly fine (raunchy, rebellious, driven) to me...until played right next to kinetic, super-verbally creative stuff like "Thrift Shop"! That was the case with many of the songs I heard from his playlist: Very inventive, dense lyrics (that both nephews could harmonize to and spout out in unison!). All produced to the max, which I don't particularly like -- but I definitely DID like the lyric inventiveness of many of the songs he'd chosen.

(A side-note: As my brother was driving me home that evening, I mentioned how cute/neat it was that the boys were enjoying music and coming up with favorites and "playlists." My brother -- into Michael Jackson and Bruce Springsteen at 11, then a big Sonic Youth and REM fan in high school/college, who now listens to Black Keys and such -- kind of sheepishly apologized for the "JT" and such: "Some of their friends are listening to Beatles and even Zeppelin already..." But that's just their parents pushing it on them, he and I both agreed.)

I liked learning about, and hearing, what the boys were listening to because it was so clearly THEIR choice. I may giggle at a kid appreciating the music of Justin Timberlake...but then MY very first favorites at 11 were the Bay City Rollers and Shaun Cassidy, the latter also my very first concert! :) NOTE: I've also, for the past two years, been purchasing on CD every Bay City Roller album I once owned, for eventual transfer to my iPod!

I suspect that my nephews, in 10 years, will completely disavow "JT" and such in favor of adult-seeming "angst" or "cool." And then, in 30 years, be, if they're honest with their youthful selves, re-admitting their old favorites to whatever music-sharing outlet is then in vogue.

In the meantime, it's great to see them so happy and excited about THEIR music!

No comments: